Saturday, February 21, 2009

A D.A.N Doctor Has Been Approved!!

So I haven't wrote in a while so I thought I would update. My son has been approved to see a D.A.N doctor! This is very exciting!! A D.A.N (Defeating Autism Now) doctor is a doctor who believes in treating Autism with diet changes and vitamin supplements. I'm really excited to give this a try. I have always been one to avoid medications. Not that anyone is trying to force any down Isaac's throat but, them wanting to has been a concern of mine. After reading many stories in Jenny McCarthy's book Isaac doesn't seem to be too bad off. So our hopes for him are high. His teachers say he improves with everyday he goes to school. He is making eye contact more frequently and has even responded to his name! He does great at communicating his needs when before he would just scream. So needless to say we are very proud of his accomplishments thus far and have high hopes for his future!

3 comments:

  1. I admire your determination in facing Autism with your son. I have to admit I haven't been as excited about dealing with all that has been thrown at us. We did try to do casein free diet with Josiah and saw results within 2 weeks, it was encouraging to us. But unfortunately our family was not supportive of us and we eventually caved to their complaints of Josiah not getting enough calcium and vitamins. I would LOVE to know how you got connected with DAN doctor. Please tell me how you went about that and if insurance will cover. Thank you!
    And many continued blessings to you as you and your family kick Autism's butt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jfur for your encouraging words! I got connected with a DAN doctor through Jenny's book actually! There is a resources section in the back of it. I looked and the closest one to you is in Medford.

    Alan Kadish N.M.D, N.D
    2612 E. Barnett Rd
    Medford, OR 97504
    ph: 541-773-3191
    fax: 541-779-5647

    We haven't been to ours yet. We have an appointment on April 4th. Our insurance does cover it. It's under naturopathics. Some insurances don't though. So all you can do is ask. Then you would have to ask the doctor if he could bill them for you. Most have you pay then can give you forms to bill your insurance yourself. If your insurance doesn't cover it I would still call and get his rates! For ours it was $125 for the initial visit and $50-$90 there after. After the 1st visit you typically only have to go at most once a month. I'm really sorry to hear your family wasn't supportive of the casein free diet! But if you saw results I would highly suggest trying it again. There are other ways for him to get calcium! My Son drinks OJ with calcium in it and also takes a vitamin with vitamin D in it.
    I hope I have been some help for you and let me know if I can any further!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Misty! I think I will get that book from the library next and see what I can figure out. :-) I hope you are seeing results with your little guy. They are such special children and I am truly amazed every day by my son and love how extremely unique he really is! We are both blessed with awesome kids! Many more blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete